View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #10
jakeru

UPDATE: my chatter problem has magically disappeared!

Recently, my employer relocated offices, and my commute pattern changed substantially as well. For the last couple months, I've had a monthly parking pass so been driving to/from work everyday. As a result, I'm doing quite a bit more clutching in stop/go traffic, including up some fairly steep hills in downtown Seattle, and even up steep ramps to get up out the deep (multi-level, skyscraper) parking garage. The silver lining with the new commute situation, aside from spending more "quality time" in the Boxster, is my clutch chatter seems to have completely fixed itself! I guess it really did just need some more aggressive usage, or breaking/wearing in, or something?

Now the clutch system still isn't perfect, as my wife still complains the clutch pedal being heavier than she'd prefer; every once in a while after an extremely cold start without the clutch pedal being pressed in, the throw out bearing will make some awful noises; and practically all the time, the clutch system makes some groaning noise/vibrations when the pedal is moves (which seem to be originating back/underneath at the transmission). So, I imagine eventually I'll still do some work back in the clutch area (and have pretty much all new replacement parts already lined up). But at least the chattering is no more - it's totally smooth engagement, all the time!

I'm thinking it must be pretty rare when simply doing nothing or just driving the car fixes the main problem.

I hope this report helps others who may experience similar "clutch chatter" type symptoms in their Boxsters.

Last edited by jakeru; 01-17-2017 at 08:13 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote