Old 01-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
ttomtom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
ttomtom:

Yes it's an easy DYI, but I would recommend doing in this sequence:

1) to remove the strut:
* remove brake caliper
* remove the bolt for the control link (sway bar to strut), and disconnect the ABS sensor (these are pricey..)
* remove the inner bolt holding the lower control arm to the subframe (to avoid damaging the ball joint rubber seal) and then lower the control arm from the bottom of the strut (put a piece of wood or something to support it underneath) as the hub will be held only by the ball joint to steering rack link.
* remove the three 13mm nuts on top of the strut (top of fender) while holding the strut with one hand and remove strut from the car.

2) to disassemble the strut:
* install a spring compressor (borrow one from Autozone)
* remove the top nut (21mm..?)
* I would recommend laying the parts in order as you remove them from the top of the strut to remember where they go.
While in there inspect closely the condition of the bearing (where the spring seats) the condition of the rubber perch for dry rubber and cracks (on the picture on one of the previous posts) and also inspect the dust booth and the hard rubber bump stop.

Assemble is in reverse, then you can get a good alignment.

Good luck!
Thank you, Gilles. I appreciate your help. Will post a photo of the condition of the rubber bushing once it's out.
ttomtom is offline   Reply With Quote