View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 05:24 AM   #1
RedBeauty

Remove amber film on headlights, Guide

I've decided to make a post of my own on this. I know there is some posts allready but i wanted this to be easy to find and the method to show in the first post. Here is my contribute:

The most important part / tool to make this job easy, fast and safe is this rasp / grinding tool.

Use the one that is on my drill, and forget about the two others as they apply heat and wil just melt the plastic throughout the headlight. i also used a extension schaft betwen the drill and rasp to reach all the amber area.

The thickness of the amber is about 3mm. Push the drill in a back an forth motion and let the rasp digg away the amber untill it starts to get brighter.

try to make the surface as smooth as possible when you start to see the Bright spot's like in this Picture. Unfortunatuley I dont have a Picture of when all the amber area looked like the bright spot's you see here, but from there on i started with 40 sanding grid, up to 240. Then wet sand from 400 to 2000 and then uset a 4000 pad + rubbing and polish. This prosess was realy fast and easy.

All in all i Guess roughly 30 - 45 min rasp, about 45 min sanding, 15 min polish.. total 2 - 3 houers.

To get the headlight compleatly clear you need to open the headlight and remove / Paint the part shrouding the blinker.
I painted the whole inside black and installed #Nine8Six 's projectors