View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 04:25 AM   #12
prOk

It's really strange to read what goes on here.. To listen to people on this board you'd think every boxster on the planet was falling apart at the seams. The majority of people talking with such fear are owners of 5-7 year old cars.. Seriously, if you were looking at a Honda Civic you'd probably not even consider a 7 year old one because of maintanance and pure age of the vehicle as you know damn well when you bought it things like brakes, tires, belts, tune ups, pumps etc are very likely to need work soon. You make that choice to take the chance on an older car and save some money and drive a porsche, don't expect an older porsche to be any more or less reliable than a similar age Ford. And, never forget that a Porsche is not a Miata, never will be, so put things in real perspective. It's unfair to compare a car that is relatively low performance with units built in the millions to a car that is the exact opposite and expect they both have the same wear and tear patterns.

The RMS thing is an issue, but it is also a very small percentage of the overall boxster market (only those that experience it scream about it). I know a number of people that own boxsters and none of them has even heard of the problem,much less had it. Reading here, you'd think every bloody one is just exploding on sight.

Things like needing basic maintenance like new belts, alignments and such after 5-7 years.. it's unreal that people drive vehicles of any kind and don't think they need basic maintenance like that when they age. Even Yugos needed that kind of upkeep over the course of 7 years.

And, like any make, oddball things happen. My Audi A4 and VW Jetta both had power window issues. Over the course of 3 years on 2 brand new cars I had 7 fail. Strange things with cars is a fact of life, could happen to anything and anyone.

The one person talking so badly about wanting to sell his car for fear of it falling apart as if it's a pile of junk after a long time praising it here and in all reality experiencing *no* issues just kills me Admittedly with all that knowledge i'm surprised you of all people are falling for the hype.

Anyway, enough ranting