View Single Post
Old 07-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
MNBoxster

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. But, I am increasingly coming to believe that the Boxster is a true China Doll. A Great Car, but not worth all the hassle (unlike my Lotus). While I have had no serious issues with my '99 w/ 25k mi. to date, the angst which accompanies owning these cars is slowly starting to wear on me.

I am SERIOUSLY contemplating trading my Boxster next spring for a late model Miata or Corvette, probably an '06. I find no excitement, bragging rights, or prestige in saying that I own a Car which is going to cost me on average $2k-$3k/yr. just so I have a Stutgartt badge on the front.

It would be a great car if the potential for it disintergrating before my eyes weren't so high - and I do 99% of all the work myself, I am an accomplished, ASE Certified Mechanic.

So far as the Driving experience, it's FANTASTIC, but the Ownership experience leaves too much to be desired - at this point, I would not recommend the Boxster to anyone but a direct decendant of the Marquis de Sade.

I have owned 29 two-seat Sports Cars of various marques in my time and the Boxster ranks in the top 5 in driving, but in the bottom 25 in Ownership experience. Fact is, I now wish I'd never bought it and staid my original course to get either a Miata, 'Vette or Viper.

It's really too bad because I expected more of Porsche. My 912 and 914 2.0 of years gone by were much more robust, and frankly I am disappointed that Porsche actually seems to have gone backwards in terms of reliability than they were 25 years ago. While it's true, virtually all performance cars possess an Achilles Heel, the Boxster is simply ridden with them, waaay too many for a manufacturer like Porsche to produce. From RMS to Intermediate Shaft Failures to MAF sensors to bogus coolant recovery tanks to screwed-up electronics, and the list goes on and on. I am sure less secure owners will oppose my views rather than admit they also have made a mistake, but the facts are irrefutable, just because yours (as mine) hasn't greanaded yet doesn't mean the potential isn't there.

It's great to have a Car which will go like Stink, but only if it actually does go like stink on demand. I am no longer at the stage where I'm willing to spend as much time under it as I am in it to experience a great ride.

Prestige has NEVER been one of my criteria for owning ANY car, even though I've owned numerous prestigious cars (assuming a Boxster is prestigious). In fact, if anyone wants to offer me $19k for my Boxster, it's yours.

I have to say that after 16 mos. ownership, I have found little to confirm my choice, but much to condemn it. I have regretted selling virtually every car I've sold through the years, but am convinced that the primary emotion I will feel when selling my Boxster is going to be RELIEF! To any non-Boxster owning Lurkers here, all I can say is BE AFRAID... BE VERY AFRAID!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 07-15-2006 at 07:55 PM.