View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #6
old911doc
I have had our Boxsters throw SRS (air bag) codes and light up the warning light when a seat was removed despite disconnecting the battery first. I suspect there is some small battery backup or capacitor backup system for firing the airbags, which is not deactivated just by disconnecting the main battery. At any rate, if the seat is disconnected with the battery 'hot' it will throw a code for sure.
When these cars were new there was a problem stemming from corrosion in the seat belt latch switches, which would cause the SRS warning to light up. The factory put out a fix, a seat belt latch with gold-plated contacts to prevent corrosion. If you find evidence of wire splicing in the wiring harness to your seats, likely your car has had that repair already.
If the light is on after you reinstall your seat, it is easily turned off with your Durametric tool.
Did I mention you should get a Durametric? I suggest getting the commercial version which allows use on an unlimited number of VIN's, because...
...you can never have too many Porsches.
old911doc is offline   Reply With Quote