View Single Post
Old 10-07-2016, 06:08 AM   #7
RandallNeighbour

Do check the weights of your current rims and tires and make sure your upgraded wheels and tires are lighter, not heavier than what you have now.

I was itching to update my wheels when I first got my boxster and I bought aftermarket Carrera light 18 rims that were 10 inch on the back and 9 inch on the front. Amazing looking stance from the rear and made the car look a million times newer and better in my opinion.

Then I took it for a drive and noticed that the style of the wheel is "Carrera Light" but these wheels were anything but light! Talk about increased unsprung weight. Ugh! The car now drives like a pig and it takes forever to get off the line.

I can tell you know that avoiding this wheel weight problem is not going to be cheap or easy. Most of the aftermarket rims that knock off the look of a turbo are not going to be the same weight as a Porsche factory wheel of any style.

I've found some lightweight aftermarket rims on Tire Rack that I'll probably move toward now that I'm not tracking my boxster and I can sell both my aftermarket Carrera lights and my factory 17s and move to a lighter wheel/tire combination.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote