View Single Post
Old 10-05-2016, 06:54 AM   #49
Smallblock454

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
It kind of made me cringe to see an impact wrench being used to thread the transmission-to-engine bolts in, though. I supose when the transmission is dangling, you want something that works quickly. Probably there is little risk of cross-threading.
I don't think it's a problem. If you go to workshops and take a look at the real life – they do things with impact wrenches where you can only shake your head. Also there are different kinds of impact wrenches. Big ones and small ones. As far as i saw it on the video they didn't tighten the bolt with the wrench. I think in this situation when you got the gearbox into right place and need to fasten it quickly an power air or electric driven ratchet is a good tool. And to be honest, you're much faster if you use such tools.

Quote:
I wonder why they marked the inner cv joint to drive flange? I doubt the cv joint and transmission output flange would be balanced or otherwise indexed together, so it seems like maintaining the relative "clocking" isn't important. (To me, it seems like lining it up wherever the bolt holes were available should work fine.)
I don't think the unbalanced masses are so high that you can get wobble. But when i replaced my axle boots i recognized that the cv joint didn't go in at every position of the axle shaft. Maybe it also depends on the construction of the inner drive flange. I think in general it's a good idea to reassemble things like they were before.

Quote:
Finally, that's a slick tool they have for locking the flywheel.
Agree, that's a cool tool.

Quote:
Edit: one more thing - why would he loosen and then tighten the transmission fill plug? To make sure there is fluid in there? (But then, as the fluid seemed overflowing, it couldn't have been an accurate fluid level check?) I don't get it.
Think the fluid level depends on the transmission. In a 986 the fluid level would be to high if the car is leveled, the gearbox is cold and there would be coming oil.

I saw this quick open technique in many instructional videos. I think it's mainly to check if oil is in.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote