View Single Post
Old 09-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
Gelbster

A different perspective is interesting.

Markus,
Your perspective is interesting because you are involved with a Porsche M96 world that is closed to most of us because of language. The English-speaking world gravitates to the American based forums so we seldom discover differences and nuances in say Germany/Austria/Switzerland
A specific example is the IMSB issue. From what little I can read on German Porsche forums, the cylindrical roller bearing is quite a popular alternative and was used much earlier than here in the Anglo Porsche world. Is that true? And which specific version of the cylindrical roller bearing is used? Do they all use the SKF NUP204 bearing or local equivalent? I ask because we all made such a fuss about "thrust control" when Vertex introduced it here.But I do not find that issue discussed in Germany. This is interesting because RND in the U.S.A. make a big deal about this.
Roller Bearing IMS Retrofit Kit – RND Engines
Here is the alleged German alternative with no mention of thrust control from a "colorful" source:
http://www.mbmotorsportsrepair.com/items-for-sale.html
The vendor has a questionble reputation on Forums but perhaps his German-sourced products are indeed good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hi,

there are lots of causes why theses engines can fail. IMSB is only one. My personal POV: there are some people interested in making money by spreading fear.

And as long as you have oil sucked in the IMS you have a kind of lubricated IMSB – just think about it – it rotates.

Also think about that an IMSB can be installed the wrong way. It was not intended to be changed by factory. So if somebody does it, he needs to know what he is doing and i'm pretty shure it is important to use the right tools and methods and be careful to get a durable result. And in general: if you find magnetic parts in the oil it's too late for just doing an IMSB. Maybe it's a good idea to install a new IMSB with every new clutch.

Don't see why i should only drive at 2.500 rpm and above.

And if the engine fails it fails. That's life.

Also agree what Gelbster said. The expensive part is the proper maintenance of the car. Even if you don't buy every replacement part at the Porsche d(st)ealership – which you have to do sometimes and if you do repairs yourself.

BTW: we've had a lot of 2.7 FL engine failed, but no 3.2 FL in the last months in the german Porsche forum. Fingers crossed.

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Gelbster; 09-28-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote