View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
BirdDog

I'm not any kind of lock guru or anything, but here's my 2 cents (and that's about what it's worth!)...

Does the key work for the center console lock?

I'd say if it doesn't work for that one then it's possible that the ignition lock and key were switched at some point.

If it works for the center console, then I'd suspect something is wrong with the door lock cylinder. One or more of the tumblers might be stuck. Shoot the lock with some lock lubricant, move the key in and out a few times, and then try turning it again.

It's also possible that the key is just heavily worn. I think you can go to your local Porsche dealer, give them your VIN, and I think they could cut you a new key - just the key part, they don't need to mess with the transponder chip or the remote control parts of the key.

You really need to get the key to work in the door. After your car sits unstarted for more than 5 days your remote will stop working (car turns off remote receiver to save power). At that point you will have to use your key to unlock your door. If your key doesn't work, that will be a bad time!