View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 10:29 PM   #24
madmodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
If you want bigger front discs there is a guy on the UK boxa.net forum that has had some made up with a spacer kit to work with the existing S caliper. The cost premium over an OE disc is negligible.
Hey Edc,
I did a search over there but didn't find anything. I ordered the spacers from girodisc so looks like the front is going to happen. Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The front disc rotors and calipers are a simple bolt on and go upgrade on a base 986. No changes to the brake bias or master cylinder is required. The rears are another story as they require major surgery to install.
Thanks JFP,
I was hoping the rear conversion would be easier. Unfortunately I have to do that base to S rear brake conversion. There's a chance I might be able to get the Carrera S rotor to fit the S setup. The girodisc rear setup only fits on the S model, so base owners will have to do the swap if they want bigger rear rotors. I'm going to do a DIY for the readers here since there seems to be no threads on the rear conversion. I couldn't find any info on the rear conversions anywhere, google search and all. If anyone has any info on a rear brake conversions please post link here.

Here are some REAR disc pics. Aftermarket base, S model and a Carrera S 330mm:

There's about a 1/2" difference in the rear ID where the parking brake pads grip against the inner rear wall. The 911 S rotor bolts on both the base and S model.

The Carrera rotor doesn't fit flush on either base or S. Its close but about an 1/8 gap. There is something keeping it from sitting on the face. My guess is the rear lip which I can cut out on a lathe.

Since I had both the base and S rears taken apart, I tried fitting the rear base rotor on the S. It doesn't fit. The S has a wider handbrake setup.

Ok next step is to find any info on the base to S rear conversion. Need parts and info for the DIY writeup.
madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote