View Single Post
Old 09-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Tires and Paul Walker

This story caught my eye this morning after having spun on the first lap in a Boxster Spec race this past Saturday (caused by over-driving on cold tires).

Luckily, my skilled competitors were able to get cleanly through the mayhem that I created and the only damage that I incurred was a bruised ego, a waving furled black flag from the race officials (to tell me that i screwed up and not to do it again), and finding myself in last place.

The Boxster is a high performance sports car and many of us drive them in the "sporting tradition". The vast majority of 986 Boxster's lack the earliest version of Porsche traction control (TC) and have nothing as sophisticated as Porsche Stability Management (PSM). ABS is the only automated tool in the toolbox.

This means that its all up to you and your driving skills. Go take that long delayed performance driving school or do a DE or an autocross so you're confident in how to handle the car in an emergency situation. Pay close attention to your tires, keep them well maintained, and drive on the best set that you can afford.

The Truth Behind What Caused Paul Walkers Fatal Crash

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote