Thread: AOS - Question
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #39
Muskoka Minute

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
I don't think that noise is from the WP. My thought is that something Mechanically changed between the crank position sensor and the cam position sensor after AOS failure. Possibly from hydrolock, but first thing you need to confirm is mechanical integrity. Since the CPS gets signal from the flywheel which is bolted to the crank it is pretty safe to assume that didn't change. The mechanical relationship between cams and crank is maintained by cam chains and their tensioners. The cams could have slipped at their adjuster plates or the cam chain tensioner and/or ramp could have failed. Either one of those scenarios would cause the cams to be retarded. However with the noise from the engine, cam chain slop is more likely. Both of these can be visually confirmed or eliminated by checking the cam timing.
I'm going to check/adjust the camshaft timing tonight.
Can this be done with the spark plugs in?
or do they have to be removed? or does it just make it easier with them out

On a side note...
I found a used Durametric - Professional for $575 US plus shipping....
Seams like a lot of money...

I don't know what to do?
How imperative is it to have one?
My Beast 2004 Boxster SE #0174
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Muskoka Minute is offline   Reply With Quote