View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
fanguy

Am I being a D$#K trying to buy a Boxster

Car 1,
So I found a used 2002 S w/78k miles at a multiline dealership. They started at 13k been on the lot 80 days dropped it to 12,800. Talked with I guy I know runs and Porsche indie shop he said the 95k zone can be expensive replacing stuff. Overall clean car has some wear haven’t taken it to him yet but he said easy $3k of stuff that needs to be replaced. IMS was done w/L&N have docs and talk with past owner. The only things I see on visual are R side windscreen and broken hinge on center armrest. So I offered them 11,500 (talk with Sales Mgr) he said 12,644 is a low as they could go and said he could get more than 11,500 at auction. I said what if the PPI show $k,k,k,k to get it drivable to a reasonable point. He said that why it’s as is. I said your online post (it’s on 7 different sites (but I didn’t say Post’s. I said you advertise it had it had a 102 point insp(they also have the Porsche line doubt it was done in that shop) and in mint condition. We’ll not our problem it’s 12,644 as is and the PPI is just to let you know what repairs you might need to do. I thanked them for their consideration he said here is my card and let me know.

Car 2,
This weekend I found a 2003 S with 19k 2 owners. Super clean-clean car. He doesn’t know anything about Porsche, but about 800 miles for the last 2 years he owned it. Installed a trickle charger because he does not drive it very much. Did not know anything about IMS and changes oil once. Said he never looked at the engine. Looking on Cargurus, AutoTrader and several other came up with 21K. Found it CL for 19K. Day after I saw it on CL add was pulled and other adds went to 18,500. He said at 19k I was the second person who called. I offered 16,500, said needed to talk with wife and would get back with me. Next day got a txt said he would do 17,300 I agreed pending PPI. 2 day later (yesterday) had PPI (the oil pan was pulled, filter autopsied showed us computer printout (he came and got us several time and took us into the service bay to show stuff). Report was passenger side window regulator, rear wheel bearing, oil filler tube, and no evidence that any service had ever been done, other than oil changes. And need complete service total $2,850. The tires were manufactured in 2002 (original tries) and showed dry rotting and should be replaced. So now it’s about $3,500. Also said this car was a prime candidate for IMS failure. L&N added another $2,100. The PPI took almost 3 hours and we both needed to run and plan was to get back today. We did, he said at the 18,500 price has had 42 inquiries. I saw the IMS as my issue and said let’s discuss the 3,500. He said since the car had a value of 21,000 and he came down to 17,300 that covered the 3,500 and the would go to 16,800. I said I was unwilling to do that. He said he thought the tires were fine and I could some $78.00 and that would be fine, he could replace the wheel bearing himself and the oil tube was no big deal and he never noticed any problem with window until they guy showed him and it would be fine. And the IMS only has a 2% chance of failing so it now big concern. I said I think were too far apart and he agreed. Shook hands and went our ways.

So am I being a ????? or acting appropriately, just looking for feedback at this rate I’m striking out.
fanguy is offline   Reply With Quote