View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 05:17 PM   #1
fanguy

Looking at buying 2002 Boxster S

Have been looking for a few months. Found a 2002 S 77k miles, 6spd, asking 13k. Went to dealer yesterday as the were closed. It's a big motor group that sell, GM, Subaru, Infinity, Porsche, Volvo, Range Rover, Maserati, Audi and a few more. It was on the Cadillac lot used car as a trade in, cargurus says 68 days. Someone forgot to lock the door so I opened it all up and found the valet key in the trunk. Had a good time. Spend about an hour doing an inspection. There was also a folder from the second owner all his registrations, service orders, Tickets from when he bought oil and filters for oil change and noted miles and could compare dates. He replaced the IMS and another seal paid 2,400 2.5 years ago. and both rear tie rods another time, Disks look good, fairly new top (still w/plastic window) new floor mats. Body looks good and drive feels good. Rubber seals and tires look good. When I hit 60+ on a bumpy freeway it sounded like it was bottoming out and I raised my concern. When we got back he said what can we do to sell you this car today. I remember reading about a rear end clunking. Since the Porsche store is 50 yrds away he said what about 12,500 and we’ll fix the rear end. I said I need to think about it. Next I went to an indie shop only works on porches been in town for 30+ yrs. He took time to talk about it with me and said he would do a pre-insp for 300.00 takes at least 3 hours. Plug in scanner, drop oil sump and everything else and review all the service receipts and parts replaced. Went back to dealer and asked what was their policy was taking it to a shop for pre-insp and they said no problem and take it for the day. So tomorrow or next day insp. Called my ins guy and it would raise it $58 a month. So maybe a new Boxster in the garage.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by fanguy; 08-29-2016 at 05:23 PM.
fanguy is offline   Reply With Quote