View Single Post
Old 08-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
BYprodriver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbonilla View Post
I have a 2003 986S with 100k miles and the sport design wheels. Wheels are a royal pain to keep clean, and over the years the wheels have aged. I had the car detailed last year and the guy did what seemed like a great job. But being a multi-part wheel there was a problem. He had to use a very strong (acidic?) cleaner to get the grime off the wheels and failed to get all of it rinsed off. The next day I went out to the car and on each wheel the finish was peeling at the 6 o'clock position on every wheel. My guess is that there was enough residual cleaner that seeped out over night and ate the finish

I know I can get the wheels refinished but these are the multi-part wheels that (I believe) should be disassembled so that liquids are not trapped behind the seam where the two parts are joined togehter

The car is 13 years old so I suspect that a full refinish is not worth it.

So I am considering the following. The perimeter sections are where the finish is worst. I would mask off the perimeter and sand them. But my question is on how I refinish these sections I sanded. Is the finish just a clear coat? Could I do an adequate job with a rattle can? I'm not willing to disassemble the wheels

Thoughts?
Anybody ever done this?
What does a full refinish cost?
Anybody have a positive experience with a wheel shop in DC area?
I would have the SS rim bands polished 1st to remove the staining.