View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #13
itsnotanova

My baby is running again!! The damage wasn't too bad as the little critter only chewed the rear harness and didn't touch anything else. I got lucky and it helps that I have a few boxsters to pull some parts from. It only took about an hour to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
We have horses, chickens and a pig. With those critters, we also have rats. I have battled them for years. They have damaged wires in my daughter's Jetta and the Boxster. I hate rats. I have traps out for them as I type. I feel your pain.
My wife has five horses and 8 chickens to clean up after them. We have two horses that drop half of their food on the ground and the chickens usually eat most of it. I'm sure the mice and rats get the rest. The snake population exploded this past year and I hadn't seen any signs of mice or rats in a long time. We have so many snakes that one fell on my head the other night as I was reaching in the hen house to collect eggs. Talk about a feeling that will make you pucker up and curse like a drunken sailor. I'm always cautious about reaching in when it's dark. I've already had a few times where I've reached in at night expecting to grab eggs and instead feeling snake. One falling on you at night is a whole new level of creepiness. Anyway, I thought with sooo many snakes around my vehicles were safe from a rat or mice infestation. As a precaution I had left some rat poison in the trunk area. It was at least a year old and probably not as effective as it could have been. I don't know how long that rat was in my boxster, but I'd guess a max of 3-4 days. I'm not sure what the average poo rate is for a rat, but there was about 20 turds in the frunk. It probably didn't take him but a few minutes to chew up those wires though. It looks like it ate all the poison I had in the trunk and I think I can smell the beginning of a dead rat in the front bumper area. I've been reading up on this kind of damage and how to prevent it. I'm thinking the poison is good to have to keep them from moving in for too long but mothballs were said to help keep them away because they don't like the smell.