View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #13
rastta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
All true but for me... lap times matter far more than tire weight and the RE-11 is consistently a full second faster than MPSS on the track. I guess in this case the extra weight = added grip. RE-71r is a lighter tire with still more grip than the RE-11 but they wear out twice as fast. I like the RE-11 as my street/rain/practice tire due to their good combination of strengths that suit my driving, and run the faster but faster wearing RE-71r for competition. If I only ran AX or street-only use the MPSS would be on my short list due to their excellent all-around manners.

Tires are always a tradeoff.
Of course they are a trade off - and you would always buy a tire with better performance if the main reason you are buying is for performance. I guess after all these years on internet forums where people spend thousands of dollars on lightweight wheels for street use - they could have saved their money and just bought lighter tires

It's like running slicks at HPDE's - if I had an unlimited bank account I would - but since I don't - I run r-comps.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote