View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #9
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post

Reports of the RE11s high noise at 50% life (shorter street life) along with comparatively lower wet weather performance are concerns.

This is all internet chatter. If any have direct experience with these two tires in these regimes please chime in

Topless thanks for your opinion...any comment on the RE11s as noted above? uOr say you: just do it!
I like the MPSS a lot as an all around street tire with good manners and few faults. It's notable weakness is overheating in continuous lapping at the track causing a shortened life. I also like the Bridgestone S-04 for the same reasons, same class of tire, with the same caveats.

RE-11 has more overall grip wet or dry, good street manners, and loves carving up race tracks. Extreme performance summer tires will always be a bit firmer and a bit noisier than MPSS by design. That is how they manage higher grip, crisper turn-in, and more precise road feel when pushed to the max.

All tires are a tradeoff so choose the one that best matches your intended use. If track days are part of your plans, my vote is RE-11, RE-71r, Star Spec, Rival, AD-08 in that order. The RE-71r is stickier than the rest but pay a heavy price in longevity (great grip-short life). I keep a set of these around for competition but run RE-11 most of the time.