View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 05:37 PM   #10
njbray

PS: I finally drove a base 718.
Impressions.... the performance and refinement are a huge jump in almost every respect! Hard thrust from a dead stop, and steady strong pull in every gear at any speed. This thing is fast! The interior is roomier, more comfortable and more refined, the smaller thicker steering wheel and tactfully contoured seats are just loverly. I truly appreciate the electric tilt/telescope wheel. Nice ride and more go-cart-like handling than ever before.
The engine...
The engine....
It performs blissfully, but it won't be mistaken for the refined sexy six that we are used to. It is a little less smooth, and while the sound is great in its own way, it's just not as grown up as before. It's throaty, deep, aggressive (in a more raucous way) and louder. It's exciting but not soul-stirring. Now it doesn't sound cheap or Subaru-like as some claim IMHO.
All in all, it's a Porsche through and through, and I wouldn't cry giving up my earlier 6-cyl car for it. There's just too much else going for it.
I might get flamed for that, but that's my honest first impression. [/QUOTE]

Good write up.
I went for a long test drive in one yesterday and couldn't agree more - very impressed with the performance and feel. BUT... I did have a problem with the high bulkhead behind the seats - I am 6' and couldn't see a thing behind me, just black plastic. You really do need the back-up camera. It seems to have a fat butt! I did like the PDK with paddles - amazing fast shifts.

Last Sunday I had a ride in a 2016 Boxster Spyder - now THAT was cool and it sounds perfect!
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote