View Single Post
Old 08-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #22
911monty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoastmod View Post
I took your advice and took a look at the bolts/nut.
It turns out that the front one with the odd looking markings looks to be correct with the rounded ball etc.
the rear however came off as a lug nut...then the light came on.
The rear has at least a 30mm spacer in place to push out the 11 inch rim so it makes sense that it would have nut.

Let's see if we can help keep you and your new toy safe. You do not want the wheel passing you while traveling down the road.

There are 2 things to check here aside from having mix of bolts & nuts.

I took a pic of a stock wheel bolt. You can see it is basically 60mm overall with a 30mm reach (threaded portion). The bolt you have appears to have a much longer reach, I'd guesstimate around 60mm. This would be ok with a 30mm spacer such as you say you have on the rears. But if no spacer in front, then these threads probably pass completely through the hub and may be very close to the hub carrier.

Second. Hopefully the PO installed the correct length studs in your rear hubs. You should have around 8 complete turns on that nut to bottom. Less may not engage enough threads of the stud and could pull the threads.

Hopefully this will keep you and your wheels from an early separation until you change wheels. Do not mean to be persistent but when I see something questionable the mechanical side of me gets very inquisitive.

Here is also some perspective on this issue. Read the last page. Apologies Woody but good info to know!

http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/59449-woodys-build-thread-12.html

Last edited by 911monty; 08-03-2016 at 05:41 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote