View Single Post
Old 08-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #25
mikefocke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Did you guys read that article in Panorama last year about the Turbo owner who put something like 700k miles on his turbo with tons of cross-country driving?

He got tired of wearing out rear tires in 10-12k miles since he did a lot of straight line driving and had his alignment shop back off on the amount of camber used in the factory settings. Now he gets 20k miles on a set (if I recall the numbers correctly).

I've considered doing this on my boxster since I live in Houston Texas and it's as flat as a pancake here. No twisty roads to navigate, that's for sure!
It works on a Boxster too. I bought my Boxster with Bridgestones on the car whose rears were not wearing evenly. Aware of the wear issues with Boxsters and having access to a group that set up Porsches for racing and thus knew what settings had what effect, I told them to dial some performance out and set it up for long wear. I replaced the tires with take-offs (PS2s) already mounted on wheels from some well to do guy who wanted bigger flashier wheels. 15k later I replaced those rears due to age, not wear. I know I could have gotten another 5k out of them. The expertise of the person who does the alignment matters greatly.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote