View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #602
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

In my continuing quest to become a better driver, I have decided to start a karting program and spent yesterday at the kart track.

Yes, that means that I was at the race track Friday and kart track Saturday. All I can say is: My name is Tom Stone and yes, I have an addiction problem.

The karts are gas-powered Honda 270cc sport karts with about 9hp. I'll be honest and say that I used to joke about karting being "all of the racing you want at 37 mph!". And yes, I was being sarcastic.

So, why will I be spending time in a kart?

1. Car control
Its a relatively safe way to learn to find the cornering limit and drive there consistently without going over the limit. I believe that I will need to be able to keep the car at the friction limit continuously to get faster.

2. Momentum
Karts are relatively low powered to teach momentum driving which seems like it could translate well to Boxster Spec racing. Less brake, more throttle, maintain maximum momentum.

3. Racecraft
Passing is an art and karting provides nearly continuous opportunities to practice the skill of planning ahead and setting up a competitor for a pass along with defending your own position. This is an area where I definitely need more skill.

As you might have figured out by now, I am pressing hard to improve my racing performance and will do whatever it takes to get there.

Even karting.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-04-2016 at 07:15 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote