View Single Post
Old 07-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #27
Bayley
Registered Abuser

Garage
Whelp, had my first drive-line failure:

To be fair, it was my own stupid accord that caused it.

I added some axle spacers to put the CV engagement back to stock geometry. These spacers required 15mm longer axle bolts. I scavenged the parts bin at work and found some M8 x 1.25 x 65 mm recessed hex head screws. I checked the grade and saw 8.8 and figured "Grade-8, these will be fine!"

Yeah, not so much. My dumb@ss forgot that these were METRIC bolts and 8.8 is more like a grade 5 bolt. I needed to find a 12.9 bolt.

Anyway, the threads of the 8.8 metric bolts ripped cleanly off the bolts and separated my axle from the transmission.

The good news is that the transmission flange and housing are both undamaged. Thankfully I was only going ~2 mph when the axle bolts gave up the ghost. Even the axle itself is rebuildable.

I ordered up a set of el'cheapo replacement axles and another spacer to get me back on the road. The long term plan is to buy a custom set of 23" long chromoly axles for 930 CV joints from a dune buggy shop. They cost $230 for the pair and will eliminate the need to run the spacer that (kinda) caused this problem in the first place.
Bayley is offline   Reply With Quote