View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 07:49 AM   #226
Smallblock454

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
My theory is that the gasket maker I used to secure the crappy spacer gave enough space and cushion to allow vibration that worked the lug bolts loose. I also believe the aftermarket lug bolts that came with the spacers were not long enough.
Hello Woody,

first i think you had a lot of luck. No big damage to your car, to you or to other people.

I think you're absolutely right. From the pictures it looks like there is some kind of black stuff on the spacer - maybe this is the gasket maker?

It is extremely important that there is no paint, primer or anything else between disc, spacer and wheel. Only bare metal is allowed. Even rust should be removed and the fine lines on the wheel where the wheel fits to the brake disc should always be kept clean.

Overtorqued wheel lugs can also be a problem. There where a lot of very big crashes caused by overtorqued wheel lugs of non pro drivers on the Nürburgring in the last years.

Corvette looses rear wheel (lugs overtorqued): https://youtu.be/G-6S8lVBYno

My recommendation is to buy safety relevant parts always new. Wheel lugs, brake pads, break lines are for example parts i would always buy new. Even tyres – you never know what have happened to them before - even if they look good. A friend of mine went to a race track in june (Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium). He had bought used track tyres that were mounted on the car, because he had no opportunity to transport a second tyre set. At 270 Km/h (approx 170 mph) the right rear tyre exploded. He is a good driver with a lot of race experience and there was no traffic on the Autobahn, so he could manage to get the car under control and stop it without any damage. He had really a lot of luck this day.

So safety always first.

Regards, Markus
Attached Images

Last edited by Smallblock454; 07-11-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote