View Single Post
Old 06-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #579
seningen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I go out early this morning to install the 3rd portion of power steering line but can't find the 12mm hex socket to remove the mounting bracket for the lines to the steering rack. I know that I used it when I replaced the 2nd portion and I am usually fastidious about keeping track of my tools for exactly this reason. WTF. Dammit.

I search around under the car, in the workshop, and everywhere else that I can think of and no joy.

I find another hex head that is close and decide to give that a try and hope that I don't strip the hex socket on the bolt. Give it a good strong pull and it the bolt comes loose. Ok, so maybe today isn't going to be a total screwed up day.

While doing all of this, I am using a work light to see and I happen to notice a little glint of light from something off to the right, so I swing the light over and find this...

The socket must have fallen off the extension when I installed the 2nd power steering line and fell down into this recess in the control arm. Quite amazed that I found it!

Waiting for the fluid to drain out and then I'll install the new line, re-fill, and give it a test.

I usually reserve my knee cap or a vertebrae for finding wayward tools...

And brake rotor scalp treatments....

Such is the life of the 'budget' Porsche racer :-)

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote