View Single Post
Old 06-19-2016, 06:17 AM   #12
KevinH1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post

I also find the electronics in cars concerning. Tesla's are great but you probably won't see many on the road in 20-30 years when the computer in it dies or the software is too outdated. I already worry about my 986 over the long term, but Porsche seems offer parts for every model regardless of age, at a price.
That is an excellent point. About a year ago (http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/54697-advice-used-litronics.html) I rewired a litronic headlight when the biodegradable insulation crumbled off. I've seen several posts from 986 and 996 owners that had the same issue. It leads me to wonder if there are any other problems that will surface when the cars hit 20 or 25 years of age.

It's great that Porsche has a good track record of providing parts for older cars, but how many of us would to take apart a car to replace a wiring harness?
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote