View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 05:12 AM   #12
husker boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
The brake fluid needs flushing and bleeding, and the brakes have to be inspected. The tech inspection requires brake pads to be at least 50%, and I don't know if there is that much material left. I'm also going to get the front center motor mount and side pieces replaced with the 987 parts. I'm curious to see what condition the original motor mount is in.
Tires, brake pads, and brake fluid are all items that should be ready to go before a DE. Other things may pop up at the track and you deal with it. Tracks vary on how hard they are on tires or brakes.

I've lost count of how many times I've seen someone show up with worn out tires, worn out brake pads, or brake rotors with cracks in them. The safety crews will "generally" turn a blind eye to these issues, but the driver quickly ends up side-lined and can lose track time trying to fix an item that should have been addressed before arriving. There was a guy at COTA this yr who wore out his tires and brake pads by the end of day 2 (3 day DE). He missed the first session of day 3 while he and his hot gf got the race team next to us in the garage to put his pads and new tires on.

Be sure your fluid is flushed and ready to go. And do multiple hard stops before DE day to test for air. My brother drove 1700 mi to CA, drove all week during Parade activities, then got into his 2nd lap at Laguna Seca and his peddle went soft in T11. Luckily he was able to dive under 2 cars instead of hitting them. He got black flagged for passing in a corner, but he was pitting anyway. His instructor was a pale shade of white. We spent the next 40 min bleeding his brakes. Luckily he didn't miss any track time. Can't imagine the trepidation going into T11 that next time.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 06-16-2016 at 07:54 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote