View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 08:07 PM   #1
TypeA
Rookie

Garage
Post 997 shifter install questions

I put a 997 shifter in the Box today and despite the install going smoothly there are a couple of issues that I searched for and couldnt really find an answer to.

A quick history for perspective. When I very first purchased the car an indy disconnected my shifter linkage, while in gear, when he was replacing my clutch. Not only did he not say a word or admit to it but he tried to return the car to me with my shifter all screwed up. Obviously I was more than a little pissed but long story short I made him fix it and he did, to a certain degree, but the shifter was never smooth or perfectly aligned again (neither was serious tho). Fast forward two years later and, using the $3 centering locking tool, I did my 997 shifter install and ended up out of alignment to the right despite my best efforts to mark cables and carefully do a direct swap. Its not seriously out of alignment but is now officially out enough to be annoying. Is there a guide on how to adjust the cables so Im not going at it blind? Could this idiot have adjusted anything at the transmission that may have screwed up my shifter alignment thats going to hurt me trying to get it properly adjusted now? Are there adjustments at the transmission end?

Second issue, it goes into gear but in two stages. Almost like its sticking half way before going all the way into the next gear. Is this a binding cable? Can/should the cables be lubricated? If so are there procedures somewhere? If not, whats the fix? The shifter itself and connecting cables below it were in perfect shape. The cables going back to the transmission, Im not sure their condition, but overall Ive found the car to be in pretty good shape and I tend to believe this is just an adjustment issue.

Any input is greatly appricated.

Last edited by TypeA; 06-15-2016 at 08:10 PM.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote