View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 02:20 AM   #193
Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
The $2000/year is just a wag quoted around here but it really depends on the prior maintenance history. I am coming up on four years of ownership and have not spent anywhere near that amount. My vehicle was well cared for and I have done the same with regular oil and fluid changes. I also am not using it as a daily driver but it gets regular exercise. You just have to remember that it is a 15 year old car so no matter what, it will need attention. I would honestly say, get a PPI, so that you know what you are getting and if the report shows anything amiss, then you have that for negotiations. Price wise, off the top of my head, I would want to get it closer to $10k. And yes, oil becomes acidic with age and is what seems to cause IMS failures. Oil gets trapped behind the "sealed" bearing and turns acidic. The theory is high revs will push new and hopefully fresh oil into and behind the bearing. That is why many on here will say to drive it like you stole it, i.e., high revs, and regularly.
Also really depends on how much work you can do yourself and how "smart" you buy parts. I just put a bit about $1500 in the Boxster I just bought. The biggest part of that was replacing the old tires (check the date code on the tires.) The rest was plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter, serpentine belt, AOS, HVAC control LCD screen, console bulbs, short shifter, top vent tube, shifter boot, & spare key. Probably have 15 hours of labor in it. If this work had been done at a dealer the cost would be 3 times as much.

Yesterday the convertible top link end snapped and I made the mistake of trying to drive the top back down and bent the clamshell. That will run me another $300 to have the clamshell fixed by a paintless dent guy. Add another couple hundred for the newer more reliable top transmissions and I'll probably hit $2k in my first month of ownership. That transmissions weren't absolutely necessary but I wanted the added insurance of a more reliable design.

Most of this stuff was neglected and old aged parts and I don't expect to see these kinds of costs yearly.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote