View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
cas951

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoman_pro View Post
Ok this is a long story....
Last fall when I was going to prepare to put the car away, I tried to start it to get her warmed up for an oil change. Long story short, she wouldn't start, so I changed the oil and pushed her into her spot for the winter. Fast forward to spring, I check the fuses, check and swap some relays, and of course check the battery. No start. I change out the electronic part of the ignition and bypass the clutch switch...still nothing. So I dig deeper, and get a new battery since mine was old....nothing. So now I decide to go for the starter after checking the forums. I order a replacement while I tackle the job of removing the starter. Turns out my starter is fine, so I re-install and return the starter. Now when I reconnect my negative cable to the battery I get a huge spark and the ground wire gets hot. So I recheck connections, I do a continuity check of my grounds and positive wires and all is good. I am told that it is the alternator, so that gets changed. No luck, but now when negative is connected the battery drains along with the ground wires getting hot. I've called my mechanic that is renowned in my area for Porsches and he is stumped also. Any ideas? The car is sitting with the top in maintenance mode obviously and I don't know what else to do....HELP!!!
I don't even know where to start to discuss with this. I think you need to do a better job describing your problem. You seem to be mechanically inclined with what you've done but the steps you took and why you took these route is beyond me. Why change a battery because it's old then change a starter because a forum said so and after bypassing safety switch to start a car?

No start is too vague.
Does it crank but will not start?
Does it crank normally like before or is it slow cranking?
Does the starter only clicks when you turn the key?

Your issue with bad ground is probably from your starter wires not connected where they need to be.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote