View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
PorscheDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

The water pump pulley is integral to the pump itself, it cannot be removed. If it is wobbly as you describe, I suggest that you have a bad bearing and the water pump will require replacement. The part # is: Coolant Pump - 996.106.011.53 - $230, Gasket - 996.106.340.51 - $7.

This is a pretty straightforward replacement if you have a moderate to advanced skill level. Hose clamps and a U-joint Socket are needed as well as a torque wrench. You'll also need to replace the coolant, silicone-free type. I wouldn't hesitate to do this repair myself, but I'm fairly experienced. A dealer may cost upwards of $600 or more for this job. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
To add to this, the gasket they give you, is an integrated gasket with the oil system on the front of the car. To replace the entire gasket, requires extensive work, dropping the front motor mounts and supporting the engine to do so. The workshop manuals tell you to seperate the gasket into 2 pieces, and only replace the gasket side for the waterpump itself. It involves snipping 3 tabs off the gasket, which connect the 2 gaskets, (which is really 1). You will have to do the same thing removing the old gasket, snip it off at the 3 points.

If you do it this way, the waterpump and new belt is about an hour job. An easy job if you are at all familiar with replacing any type of waterpump.