View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #8
Nine8Six

omg John I see your thread everywhere. Missed this one sorry.

What's worth checking is the regulator. This should read 14.6~8 "under load". Not idle as-in checking if you have an alternator heartbeat. I am not 100% sure of the Porsche sign-off values on the regulator (lost my illegal copy of the tech doc loll) but I'm pretty sure its way more than 13.8v. More like <15volts.

Note that your typical chop-shop dude isn't all geared up to troubleshooting car electrical nor he'd know or 'care' in most cases. So go somewhere you trust!

Its always a good idea to rule out the regulator part of the circuit before changing a batt especially on old cars. Your accessories (e.g. radio playing FMrock) might be requesting more current than the perfectly good alternator can push out.

If the reg is faulty your super headlights and FMrock are going to eat your battery again in more or less 3 months. Regulator fix cost $40~50 if diy I've read somewhere.

(ps/. I say its the dash switch, heard/read it too many times now. All of the cars lighting and other nighty services circuits are all controlled by that switch. I think!)