View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
MWS

"poor man's" Porsche...a RANT.

Why do so many consider a Boxster a "poor mans Porsche"? It's as if the mindset is that "if it's not a 911, it's not a Porsche". Personally, I would RATHER drive a Boxster than a 911, it's just more fun....unfortunately, I spend a lot of time explaining why I think the Boxster is better than a 911 (or at least different in the feeling it provides).

Ok, I will admit I was guily too, but it was a different time, a long time ago. Back in the early '80s (ok, high school), someone had a Porsche, and was quite fond of letting everyone know he had a Porsche, but was never seen driving it. Finally one day, he told everyone that he had driven it, and after school, a crowd gathered to check out his car. Was it the exotic car of dreams? Nope, it was a sad litte 2 seater....yep, it was a 914. Oh how the teasing started (I think he needed up selling a bought a MG).

Now here we are later, and 914's are sought after classics. Unfortunately, sometimes I feel like the kid with the sad little 914. Personally, I blame Porsche...if they priced the 986 closer to the 911, perhaps it would get a little more credit. And you know what, I still would have bought a gleaming new Boxster over a 911.

Rant finished. For now...
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote