View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #563
seningen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Temptation comes in many forms.

In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned that IF I was to think about where to go next in racing, I posted that I might consider moving to an air cooled 911 race car. To me, the air cooled cars are the epitome of Porsche amateur racing and they require a certain skill to race competently - something that I would love to learn to do well.

Then last week, I was contacted by someone who wanted to know if I want to buy the car pictured below. This is like someone asking if you want to marry Alessandra Ambrosio. Click though and see what I mean, but I'm sure that you get the point.

I went and inspected the car on Sunday and took it for a test drive. It was everything that it was supposed to be and maybe a little more. The price was within my budget. I'll admit, I was more than a little bit smitten with the car.

But this would mean having to sell the Spec Boxster.

To make a long story short - after a lot of back and forth in my mind along with consulting my good friend and last year's Spec Boxster Champion Alex Bermudez, I decided to take my own advice - don't upgrade the car until you can out drive it.

The cold, hard truth is that I am still not a better race driver than the Spec Boxster is a race car. I am still 1-1.5 seconds behind the best drivers in the class and I do not consistently place in the Top 3. To me, that says that I still have things to learn in Spec Boxster and they would only be harder to learn by moving to a car with more power and a completely different driving characteristic.

But if I was to buy the 911 anyway, I would look really, really, really good while learning those lessons!

So, the bottom line is that I'm staying with the Boxster.

But oh, oh, oh, the temptation.

Take it from some one that tracks a Spec944, Boxster S, and a 911 RSR -- and I suck at all of them :-) Front engine, mid-engine, rear -- doesn't matter - I enjoy them all for different reasons -- and I'm never as fast as I'd like to be -- but you do develop car control skills :-)

You really did make the right choice. But the 911 sure is pretty -- and like mine, when I get it right -- it's sex on 4 wheels.

However, I do enjoy the Boxster S the most -- reliable, forgiving, quick and generally easy to drive.

But don't listen to me -- I'm a moving chicane -- what do I know :-)

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote