View Single Post
Old 06-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #13
seningen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Took at a look at the car today. Looks like the fire started on the passenger side near the front of the engine compartment as evidenced by how the paint is most damaged in this location. The lighter paint damage on the driver side was already there and is is a result of 28 years of heat from the turbo slowly baking the paint from the underside of the hood.

As you can see from the bottom photo, the distributor, coil, headlight motor (pop up lights up/down), and power steering reservoir are the major components residing on this side of the car.

The fuel injection/fuel lines are on the top of the engine pretty much square in the middle of the engine compartment. The electric fuel pump is under the car.

To be honest, I am not quite sure what to think regarding the cause of the fire. Of course, nearly impossible to discern much for certain since everything in that area is burned, charred, or melted.

Anything is possible -- but my money is on the small hose from the fuel dampener to the fuel rail -- these look fine -- but on several of our donor cars you could take off those hoses and see that the elbow of the hose was brittle and you could snap the hoses in two by lightly bending. All my 944's received aftermarket braided replacement hoses for this piece.

Not the exact one I have used -- but similar

944 Fuel Jumper Line - Damper to Rail

or these

FUEL LINES 944T / 944 at LINDSEY RACING - Your Porsche Performance Parts Center

sorry to see it -- but many a turbo has been resurrected with some new rubber and a wiring harness and some new injectors with no major issues afterwards.

Mike

Last edited by seningen; 06-05-2016 at 06:30 PM.
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote