View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #15
rfuerst911sc

Previous air cooled 911's I have owned and a 914 I converted to a six I had M & K mufflers. These mufflers are basically a long round cylinder with inlet/outlet pipes. Made of 321 SS they are very light ( 12 pounds ? ) , look great and sound pretty darn good. Not sure what they do for internal baffling. I have sent them an email about two weeks ago if they are considering expanding to the water cooled cars. The answer was yes but not in the immediate future. If I had the metal skills to form the cylinder and weld like they do I would make my own. If you look online at muffler cut away pics a muffler is not that hard to make. Sure you might not get it right the first time but eventually you can get there.
I think the real key on our cars is to stay with a " single can " vs. a " twin can " muffler to eliminate the drone. I am playing with my twin can GHL on " the beast " . So far I have installed two small resonators ( one each side ) and some Car Chemistry exhaust inserts right behind the resonators. The sound is just about where I want it but I still have some drone. Much better than it was but still there. I may go with a set of CC inserts in the twin outlet pipes. If that doesn't get me to where I want to be I will explore making a single can muffler. The factory muffler for me is just too large and heavy.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote