View Single Post
Old 06-20-2006, 07:18 AM   #12
EPIQTodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Interesting, get yourself a new set of Experts. The Wheel Lug torque spec on my Honda Passport is 92 ft-lbs., my wife's Jaguar - 96 ft-lbs., my wife's former Lincoln Continental - 92 ft-lbs., and my Lotus Esprit - 94 ft-lbs. It would seem that 90+ ft-lbs. of torque for Wheel Lugs is not only common, but prevelant through a lot of diverse cars...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
That's why I used the 'experts' moniker in quotations, just as I did here.

By the way, I just contacted Hoehn Porsche and spoke to the service manager about this little incident (by 'little' I mean incredibly significant, and potentially business-ending for them, as an accident on the freeway due to negligence on their part in properly securing the wheels might result in a fatality) and he listened to me complain about how this was so far elementary and basic and that it would be potentially very dangerous. He simply replied with "I agree with everything you are saying", no apology, then I stated that my plan was to contact PCNA due to the severity of the issue and he replied with "do you want their number?" in a snappy voice. Nice. I fear for the lives of all those who are driving around without the knowledge that their wheels could come off at any moment thanks to the negligence of Hoehn Porsche in Carlsbad, CA. Had I not changed the pads last night, I wouldn't know, and how many people pick up their cars from a dealer then go home and change brake pads, thus removing the wheels and checking the bolt tightness? My guess is less than .1%. The other 99.9% are still at risk, but the service manager seems not to care. I would have expected an eat crow attitude, not a 'kiss my a**' attitude in such a situation.

PCNA was quite receptive and apologetic (and they don't need to be - ironic, huh) and will submit a formal complaint on my behalf. Not that I want to go back to Hoehn Porsche now, but I'm quite sure I will be blacklisted there anyway.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote