View Single Post
Old 06-19-2006, 10:44 PM   #7
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIQTodd
Jim, all good stuff, thanks, and rest assured my car is well inspected. All POC events it has a full inspection by a qualified motorsports technician, as required. I see how easy it is to replace the rotors, also, so I'm looking forward to that, even though it is more money...

Where would you lube the brake hardware and what would you use to lube it?
Hi,

Typically, the Brake grease is part of the Pads fitment kit in the form of a capsule or small tube. Porsche recommends replacement of these parts every time the pads are replaced. From the Dealer Service Manual: "Fit new spreading spring, new holding pin and new retainer (retaining clip) These parts are available as a repair set and must be "renewed" each time the pads are replaced."

Most people believe they can get by with reusing the existing hardware, especially when the cost of new is factored in. The PN# for the Front, non-S Brakes is: 996.351.959.01 - list $24.95 and Rear, non-S Brakes is: 996.352.959.01 - list $35.00. I don't have the 'S' Brakes repair kit PN numbers. Neither Porsche or I recommend reusing this hardware, but if you insist, at least inspect it, clean it up with emery cloth to remove any dust or corrosion and then apply new grease.

You use High Temp Waterproof Brake Grease. Apply sparingly to the contact points where the piston meets the rear metal surface of the pad assembly, and to the holding pins. This grease "lubricates" the opposing vibrating surfaces, and therefore reduces or eliminates the resultant squeal and allows the pads to move freely and smoothly. Additionally, it provides some corrosion protection to the Pins as well. Be careful not to use too much, or get any grease on the friction surfaces, or you won't have any brakes. Brake pad grease can be purchased separately at most any auto supply store. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 06-19-2006 at 10:55 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote