View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 06:08 AM   #13
Gilles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGETZ View Post
I'd like the extra hp boost that coincides with the UD pulley upgrade but not at the expense of a less difficult IMS Bearing replacement.

I asked about the TDC locking alternative to using the "boss" and no one has replied even though I posted the question on three forums (Rennlist, 986, Pelican); so, for now the UD Pulley upgrade goes to the back burner. It only made it's way to the front of the line after searching and reading about fan belt replacement on the Boxster.

I welcome any knowledge/experience you wish to share... love learning so thanks in advance.

Respectfully,
Mitchell[/FONT]
Hello Mitchell, this is my story

(background)..
Many years ago, I installed a BBI UDP after burning two steering pumps on the track with the SoCal summers, and also installed a small oil cooler on the return port of the steering rack.

Then a few years later, after removing the gearbox to replace the input shaft bearing, I noticed that the IMS cover was leaking a bit and to replace the seal, I first installed the two cam lockers (thanks to BYProdriver and Healthservices..), and then locked the crankshaft at the rear, using two metal straps bolted between the bell housing and the crank (at the flywheel mounting flange), then removed the chain tensioners before removing the IMS cover.

This worked out for me because after removing the gearbox I knew that it was not going to be easy to remove the large bolt on the UDP with the flywheel and the gearbox supports removed.

Good luck with your car, are you going eventually be relocating to the Iwakuni base?

Regards,
Gilles

Last edited by Gilles; 05-28-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote