View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 03:07 AM   #8
husker boxster

Totally agree with thstone. You're buying a cat in a sack. Pay accordingly. A couple thousand below mkt is NOT what this car is worth. You have to assume it's a roller and pay a roller price ($3500).

I bought a 77 VW conv 1.5 yrs ago with an engine that wouldn't run. Based on the symptoms and the Internet chatter, it sounded like an air leak into the FI. Worked extensively with a neighbor to get it running, but it didn't run well. Took it to a VW shop (twice), who blew my budget by lining his pocket with stuff it didn't need to run. Once I got the faulty part replaced (not the repair shop), it ran well but was pushing oil out the dipstick. That meant weak rings. So I bit the bullet and put in a long block. Bottom line, it turned out to be way more expensive than I anticipated. But it runs well now. Not sure I'll make any money on it.

Few of these purchases end up like Mike and Edd's 986 purchase (Wheeler Dealer), which only needed an Tip oil change. They give us hope, but it rarely happens.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote