View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 09:18 PM   #5
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Rule #1: Never trust anything that a seller says unless its backed up in writing.

There is no way to verify the list of possible engine failures without tearing down the engine. Hence, you have to assume that the engine is toast and needs to be replaced.

If you can get the car to a shop for an inspection, you might have a fighting chance. But very few sellers will allow any work to be done on their car until you buy it. What if your mechanic damages something while removing the spark plugs? Who pays?

Also, you have to assume that there are other things wrong with the car that won't be detectable since the engine won't run. Things like air conditioning, cooling system, power steering, brakes (master cylinder/booster), wheel bearings, CV joints, clutch, transmission, engine sensors, fuel pump, etc, etc.

If the battery is dead and you can't turn on the power, then the list of things that you can't test goes up dramatically to include windows, top, lights, wipers, radio, climate control, CEL codes, alarm system, etc, etc.

I bought my 97 Boxster with a known failed engine. The seller swore that there was nothing else wrong with the car. I spent almost $1,000 repairing things that the seller didn't disclose and that I was not able to test since the engine wouldn't run. And there was no way that the seller didn't know about the CEL for the fuel vapor recovery system before the engine failed as it had nothing to do with the engine itself.

Now, I'm not saying that every seller is a liar, but I am saying that you won't be able to tell the lying sellers from the honest sellers.

And do you really think that someone is going to sell their car for thousands less than market value because they "didn't want to fix it?" Who does that? No one.

The seller is keeping his cards hidden and transferring all of the risk to you in this transaction.

Bottom line: The car is worth around $3,500.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-25-2016 at 09:25 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote