View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 04:16 AM   #10
Atomicblue99

Garage
You'll Like the 981

AZ, consider looking from 2013 to 2015. The Boxster changed from the 987 model (2005-2012 MY) to the 981 in model year 2013. Essentially, the 2013-2016 cars are the same save for colors and options. You should be able to find a nice selection of low mile, Porsche Certified Pre-owned, low mile 981s as many are currently coming off lease. A quick search of the Porsche CPO web site returned 25 PDK 981s for under $50K with less than 20K miles. I purchased a 2013 Boxster S in March after a watching the market for several months. I’ve loved the car so far and have put over 3000 miles on it in the 2 months I’ve had it.

1) Is there a significant difference between the 2014 and 2015 that I need to consider?
- No, with the exception of certain colors and maybe a few select options, the 2013-2016 model year cars are the same.

2). Are there options, that are must have to ensure a smoother ride vs a performance ride? I will be getting the PDK automatic Transmission. Things like 19 - inch vs 20 inch wheels?? PASM?? Other thoughts?
- Sounds like your preference is smoother ride and not a performance ride. Look for a car with the standard suspension, not the sport suspension option. Also, don’t bother with PASM, it’s a waste if you don’t want the performance advantage it provides. I have 20” wheels on my car and I think it rides comfortably, but I would think the 19”s would ride softer due to the extra tire side wall.

3). How is cabin noise with the soft top up? Any difference between 2014-15?
- The cabin noise is not bad at all with the top up and all the 981s (MY 2013-2016) are the same from this perspective. It’s not as quiet as a hard top, but the lining in the soft top does a very good job of dampening the sound.

4). How is noise and wind with top down?
- Wind noise with the top down is not to bad compared to other convertibles I’ve driven. With the top down and the windows up, I can carry on a conversation with the cars Bluetooth phone at 70 mph.

5). Any other options to look for that this car should have?
- If you’re after comfort/luxury, opt for the natural leather interior or at least the leather trim. Also, the Bose PCM is a nice upgrade from the standard stereo. Power memory seats are also a nice to have as are seat heaters and seat ventilation. The thing to remember about Porsche is that many options are available standalone and many cars are custom ordered so there can be a great deal of variation in cars. However, there are some standard packages. The Convenience Package gives you the wind deflector, 2 zone A/C and seat heaters. The Premium Package adds auto dimming mirrors, power memory seats, and better headlights.

I hope this helps some. I’m really enjoying my 981. It is easy going and comfortable around town in regular driving, but when I want to give her the whip, she responds brilliantly. It’s like having two cars in one. The best advice I can give is go drive one.
Atomicblue99 is offline   Reply With Quote