View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #1
Spirit_RE

Clutch, RMS, or Engine Mount? Drivetrain shuddering occassionally

Hey guys

Just to recap I have a 99 5 speed boxster with 45k miles on it.

In some certain circumstances I have experienced some drivetrain shuddering when taking off in 1st gear or reverse. It gets most upset if I try to modulate the clutch quickly, for instance when I accelerate more quickly than a car in front of me and then push in the clutch again, partially or all the way. Never any of the upper gears.

This rarely/never happens when the car is cold. It seems to happen most when either a; there is more than usual load placed on the car (for example reversing up a hill) or b; when I've been engaging and disengaging the clutch frequently like in stop-and-go traffic. Last year I had a almost identically-feeling problem in my Mazda2 and that turned out to be one of the transmission mounts.

It doesn't happen consistently so I'm inclined to believe it's not a problem with the clutch itself. The car doesn't appear to leak oil (indie mechanic who PPI'd it said the RMS was fine) but the symptoms could be explained by oil leaking onto the clutch sporadically, especially when hot. But I would think it would happen more often if this was the case.

Anyone had any similar problems?
Spirit_RE is offline   Reply With Quote