View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
imon_2nd
Known Gearhead

Garage
Hello, Kip, and welcome to the Forum.

The audio in the Boxster I bought last month was awful so I had a local audio pro rebuild the whole thing using a new 1,000 Watt amp. (BTW, I'm an engineer and a 30-year member of the Audio Engineering Society.) Some of the speakers could be reused, some couldn't. The new system keeps all of the original speaker grills and locations, except for a 4-speaker array of high mid-range frequency speakers in what was a small storage area at ear level behind and between the seats.

The factory door speakers, which provide the bass were only 4-inch diameter. That's too small to work as a bass driver (20 - 250 Hz). Those were replaced with 5-inch drivers specifically designed for low frequency use. I'd prefer larger bass drivers, but the factory enclosures are too small for 'em.

I'm pleased with the revised system. It's good for Classical, Jazz, Folk and Rock. If you like Rap or House Mix, you'll need a single 8 or 10-inch sub-woofer. I'd remove the spare tire from the frunk and mount it there with its own amp and low-pass filter.

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited by imon_2nd; 05-19-2016 at 10:51 AM.
imon_2nd is offline   Reply With Quote