View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #531
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Race. Repair. Repeat.

Today was a Repair day!

Threw the car up on the lift and inspected the underside. Found that the high pressure power steering line was broken in two in the middle of the lower hard line. Originally, I thought that the low pressure line was the damaged hose but the low pressure line was only pulled loose and slightly scraped up but looked ok.

Removed the top, upper engine cover, racing seat, and front engine panel to get as much access as possible to the power steering pump.

To get to the power steering high pressure line, I also had to remove the serpentine belt and the power steering pump pulley.

The high pressure line connection is right up front as indicated by #1 in the photo. There is also a bracket on the side of the engine holding the line in place that needs to be removed (right under the #2 in the photo). Then it simply took a little bit of jiggling and jostling to get it out the bottom.

The job was made much easier since the A/C unit was already removed creating a big empty area next to the power steering pump (#2). For reference, the low pressure return line (#3) connects to the PS pump in the rear of the unit. This hose might be a bit harder to get to the connection on the rear of the pump so I was glad that I didn't have to replace it.

The remaining portion of the high pressure hard line was under the car still connected to the line that runs to the front of the car.

The high pressure hose runs about $125. I'll order it today along with a liter of CH-11S power steering fluid and install next weekend.

Onward!

Everything removed;

Front engine view of power steering pump, high pressure line (#1), space where A/C compressor was removed (#2), and low pressure line (#3);

High pressure line removed;

Remaining portion of high pressure line under car;
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-15-2016 at 11:52 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote