View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #187
wogin

Garage
Question What to expect when buying a VERY low milage car

Hi Everyone, I am seriously considering making an offer on a 2001 Boxster today but before I do I could use some sage advice. I'm new to online forums and sincerely hope I posted this in the right place. I have already researched the car pretty extensively as far as IMS stuff goes but most appraisals and maintenance advice i have read are out of date or possibly not applicable to this age and milage. Here it goes.

Details on the car: 2001, Boxster (base) with 16,500 miles always garaged and serviced at BMW/Porsche dealerships. Carfax shows four oil changes over its life which is very good considering the milage (i think). The owner hardly drove the thing and admitted to letting it sit un-started for a long period of time.

Before she began driving it again more regularly (10 months ago), she had to have the fuel pump replaced and gas tank flushed (bad gas). At the same time she also had the battery and alternator replaced, had a new set of four tires fitted, and the oil changed. The IMS bearing is original, and the VIN corresponds with a dual row bearing (was excluded from the class action suit)

Assuming the car is in fantastic cosmetic condition what a fair value on this car today considering I probably need to replace that IMS bearing thats been sitting in engine oil for years?

Should I assume I must replace this IMS immediately even though it is low miles? (I heard "garage queens" have high failure rates somewhere)

I am a Mechanical Engineer with access to jack stands, full set of sockets/wrenches and would try and perform most maintenance/repairs myself so long as no repairs came up where i wouldn't be able to order parts and drive the car until putting them in. (it would be my only car).

If I own the car for five years and put 45,000 miles on it in that time, what should I budget for maintenance and repairs per year (IMS bearing replacement excluded)?

Im trying to figure out how financially crazy/irresponsible I'm being as I don't have a TON of money to throw at a car per year but would still like something fun with an open roof. I wanted 4 seats, but the boxster's two trunks lessens the sacrifice.

Thanks,

Brian
wogin is offline   Reply With Quote