View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 06:49 AM   #29
jb92563

I bought a $20 clone just after I bought my 986 to evaluate how useful it might be, with the intention of buying the authentic Durametric version.

There are a few times when I found it indispensable to read and reset codes but overall I'm not terribly impressed with its capabilities and that of the Real Durametric Enthusiast version.

Its lacking programming features for the security system and Engine tuning.

Our cars are run by computers now and there is no reason that you should not have full access to it with a device that costs $500 or less these days.

I'd gladly pay $500 for a Durametric Pro if you could reprogram car keys, play with security settings, turn options off and on and do engine tuning on top of the other diagnostic stuff.

A big problem is learning how to correlate all the readings and figure out how to use them to find issues and correct them.

It took me a while to figure out how to tell if your O2 sensors have died, and which ones, using the graphs.
I did figure it out eventually through many hours or research and trial and error to validate what I found.

We should absolutely have a section on using diagnostic tools like the Durametric and others and document how to debug specific issues.

I think the Performance and Technical section would be a good place for them and have a Index thread stickied and updated with links to all specific Diagnostic tools and procedures.

I think a group effort could get this done fairly quickly and easily with the help of a Moderator to do the sticky part and update the index page.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote