View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 07:05 AM   #3
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
Except for the fact that this doesn't acctually work in real life.

Try this at the track with Any car, no matter what it is. If you shift where your torque is at the maximum instead of redline you will always run a slower 1/4 mile time. This is a pretty old myth and one that I fell into myself when I first started drag racing.

I have drag raced about 8 different cars in the last 15 years pretty hard core, right into the 10's in a few of them. They have all been to the dyno, and I have tried shifting them all at peak torque like this graph illustrates. If you shift at peak torque you simply go slower every time.

Your always better to shift at your highest RPM point. As the RPM falls back down, it doesn't matter that it's over the Torque peak when you shift, it's that you land in a higher RPM point when you did the shift into the next gear. The higher you land in the RPM band after your shift the faster the engine will accelerate. If you shift at 5500rpm and fall to 3500rpm you car will be slower than shifting at 6500rpm and landing at 4500rpm because the engine will rev easier and faster to 6500rpm again from 4500rpm faster than 3500rpm to 5500rpm regardless of what your torque numbers are on a graph.

The best illustration of this is with a motorcycle. My CBR did 11.4 @ 126mph. It revs to 15,000rpm but peak HP is 13,000rpm, peak torque was 9000rpm or so. It was significantly slower if I shifted at anything less than absolute redline. The difference was a few 1/10ths and would knock me back to high 11's each time I messed with the shift points. Even in first gear, short shifting the bike made it slower. I did it however because I had to worry about poppin the wheel up hittin second without the clutch at 50mph.

Cool graph, but doens't pan out in real life. Don't take my word for it however, if you want proof hit up some hardcore drag racing forums and ask them this there. Their response will be much the same as what I just told you.

I don't think that you completely understand what the graph is saying. For any given vehicle speed, the torque to the wheels is shown. You can see from the graph that the best place to shift pretty much IS redline. This information is accurate if it's read correctly.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote