View Single Post
Old 04-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
kiyakubuke

Garage
wheel refurbish.

just finished repainting my wheels. couldn't find much on the process for breaking the 2 piece wheels down and putting them back together and what I did seemed to conflict, so I thought I would post something.
found several post about problems people had, everything from broken bolts, stripped threads to concern over wheel failure (though I never saw any actual examples of this). the broken bolts and stripped threads, I believe, would be more common with the 3 piece rims using stainless steel bolts. the sport classic II, and maybe all the porsche 2 piece wheels, use titanium bolts. also, the 3 piece are torqued higher. I've heard everything from 40 to 80 Ft Lbs. that seems impossibly high for aluminum or alloy rims. what I found on the 2 piece was from 12 to 20 Ft Lbs. I didn't have any trouble getting them to torque at 20 Ft Lbs. one bolt hole needed to be re-tapped, but I think it was because of a build up of thread lock.
to remove the bolts, I used my cordless impact driver to remove the bolts without any issues. I used a 7MM 1.0 die to clean the bolt thread of any old thread lock and soaked them overnight in windex to clean them.
cleaned, sanded the rims, painted the centers black, the outer rims metallic silver. both with 2 coats of primer, 4 coats color and 2 coats clear, let dry overnight (per paint instructions) wet sanded with 2000 grit, then 2 more coats of clear. also threw a few coats of clear on the center caps for protection.
came out pretty good with the exception of the side of the spokes. the sport classic II wheels are so close together it was very hard to get a good coat of paint on them.
also painted my calipers and painted my lug nuts with the same red caliper paint.
overall the project cost me about $60 and I am pleased with it, although I think I will have them powder coated the next time I have new tires put on, since the tires have to be removed to powder coat I will just have the tire shop break them down for me, then take them to the paint shop and new tires put on when finished.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/darrenkitchens/T9vMQE
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote